Plans for the Saint Louis district were drawn up around 1685. In 1737, on the location planned at the time, Louis XV granted permission to two businessmen to build a group of "sheds" for housing the stalls for a new market. These sheds were laid out in squares around the crossroads of rue Royale and rue d'Anjou. But the market never managed to attract customers, so the sheds were lifted up and turned into dwellings by 1755.
Threatened with destruction under Napoleon III, they were rescued and now constitute a remarkable Eighteenth Century urban complex.