From 01/01/2013 to 02/06/2014
Exhibitions, Music/Concerts, Guided tours/lectures, Shows/festivals
This year, on the occasion of the 4th centenary of the birth of André Le Nôtre, the city of Versailles and the Château de Versailles will tribute the famous gardener of Louis XIV.
Architect, landscape architect, but also confidant of the king, André Le Nôtre is the origin of the development of French gardens.
In 2013, Versailles celebrate the Year Le Nôtre exposing the talent of this vision through exhibitions, shows, festivals and restorations.
In town :
- At 100 meters from the Palace of Versailles, the Court of Scents host a museum of perfumes and French luxury brands : Guerlain, Lenôtre, Diptyque and Maison Fabre.
Garden of Scents offers a olfactory walk adorned with flowers, perfumes and rare essences: here
- New culture and nature walks offer "green" walks from the train stations. Download the map : here
- This year's Treasure Hunt will be specifically dedicated to the tradition of Versailles landscapes.
- This summer, the new royal gardens "des étangs Gobert", developed by landscape architect Michel Desvigne offer a contemporary public garden in the heart of the city.
- Under the guidance of Pierre-André Lablaude, the restitution over a 3.2 km Matelots-Mortemets path designed by Le Nôtre will please the walkers.
- The 1st, 2nd and 3rd of July, "Les rencontres André Le Nôtre" organized by Val'Hor will be about "The Humanity of the garden: the territory of the pen."
- The old Hôpital Royal Richaud gardens will be architected by F. Neveux and B. Rouyer will represent one of the largest French project to rehabilitate the heart of town.
- On the 14th of November, the conference "Alternatives for sustainable living : urban agriculture, envelopes vegetated and water pollution "
(Palais des Congrès - 10 rue de la Chancellerie)
Au Château :
- This summer, the Château de Versailles presents his contemporary exhibition Giuseppe Penone in the gardens of Versailles: here
- The Grove Labyrinth, disappeared in the XVIIIth century, will relive the time of an exhibition at the Municipal Library of Versailles: here
- The King's herb garden exhibition at the Grand Trianon will highlight the passion of the Court about botanical : here
- Finally, the André Le Nôtre perspective 1613 - 2013 exhibition will provide, against conventional wisdom, an surprising image about the man, his art and his influence: here
Restoration, heritage found :
- Le Bassin of Latona and Laws :
In the center of the Grande Perspective, visitors will discover the secrets of hydrolic and expertise of conservators.
- The Theatre Water Grove :
Landscape arcitect Louis Benech Othoniel re-interpret the grove destroyed in the XVIIIth.
- The Golden Child Basin :
The eight children of Jules Hardouin-Mansart regain their gilding.
- The return of two monumental sculptures :
Perseus and Andromeda and Milo of Crotona return to their original location
- Lawns and Royal Perspectives :
In 2013, the gardens continue to regain their former glory thanks to the work of gardeners.
In partnership with the City of Versailles, the royal Mortemets aisles will be restored to their historic configuration and offer a new route to walk.
Events and shows :
- The gardens of Versailles, a glorious and festive decor :
Fireworks, water games, fountain shows, concerts, ballets, theaters, operas will make Versailles a venue for parties to crown the anniversary of Le Nôtre.
- The book and presse Price "Le Nôtre"
On the occasion of the rendez-vous in the gardens at the Petit Trianon on May 31st, June 1st and 2nd, 2013, "Price Le Nôtre," chaired by Didier Decoin, reward the best work in the following categories: youth, practical advice and reflection the gardens.